Sunday 3 October 2010

Argument Blindness

Lord Young of  Graffham, a Tory peer, doesn't like the excessive Health and Safety restrictions. The BBC quotes him as saying:
"Frankly if I want to do something stupid and break my leg or neck, that's up to me. I don't need a council to tell me not to be an idiot."
Quite right, and I'm sure many others will agree with him. But why can't those same people see that exactly the same argument applies to drugs?

UPDATE: It seems that Lord Young himself is among those unable to apply an argument across the board. On the Today program (listen here from about 5 mins in) Evan Davis asked Lord Young whether he supported legalising cannabis. His response was that taking drugs is illegal and:
"People can do whatever they like until the law says they can't." (5:40) and
"I am a libertarian within the law" (6:16)
What makes this worse is that the Daily Mail then tried to take Davis's question as if Davis was supporting a repeal of the drug laws and as if that was a bad thing. This is the same newspaper that reported Lord Young's comments favourably here.

It's a little depressing to know that people can hail an argument when applied to one thing but not when the same argument is applied to something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment